This Page

has been moved to new address

Amazing Tortilla Soup

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Moose tracks and Tater stacks: Amazing Tortilla Soup

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Amazing Tortilla Soup


{Amazing Tortilla Soup}


I love tortilla soup! I had never tasted it until about 7 years ago when I first got married and now I am addicted and so is Jason, he asks me to make it all the time. I found a recipe a long time ago and have made it into my own little version.

Tortilla Soup-

{Ingredients}
-16oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
-4 tablespoons of cilantro, if it is fresh cilantro I add a bit less
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 8 cups of chicken broth
1 ½ pounds of chicken (I use boneless skinless breasts)
2-3 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce
Rice
Tortilla chips


{Directions}
  • Cook the chicken in a pan with a little bit of oil, I usually cook them in a little bit of olive oil in my stock pot (so I don’t dirty more pans than I need to) over medium heat for about 20 minutes but of course the cooking time will vary. Make sure that your chicken isn’t pink in the center and it is recommended that you cook it to 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • While the chicken is cooking put the can of tomatoes (undrained), cilantro, sugar and garlic into the blender and blend it until it is smooth.
  • Once the chicken is cooked cut it into cubes and put it into the stock pot and pour in the ingredients from the blender.
  •  Add the 8 cups of broth to the stock pot
  • Put 2-3 chipotle peppers into the soup and add 1-2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce from the chipotle can, depending on how spicy you want your soup
  • Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. 
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste


{Optional Ingredients & Toppings}
-       -  Mexican or Monterey Jack cheese
-        - Avocado
-         -Sour cream

{Meal Assembly}
  • Do not eat the chipotle peppers, simply serve around them and leave them for the flavor. I usually leave them in the bowl in the fridge with the leftovers too. 
  •  Put a scoop of rice in the bottom of a bowl, top it with soup and then cheese. Add avocado and sour cream if you desire.
  • Use the tortilla chips like a spoon to eat the soup or put them on top
  • Enjoy!




Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

Sarah, I have looked for fire roasted tomatoes where I live and can't find them. What type of canned tomatoes should I use? Should I add any other spices to make up for the lack of "fire roasted" flavor? Thanks!

 
At February 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Courtney, I have used regular tomatoes and it tastes just fine! We made it that way for years before the fire roasted ones came out :) let me know if you make it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home