This Page

has been moved to new address

Guest Post- BPA, It's Not For Me!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Moose tracks and Tater stacks: Guest Post- BPA, It's Not For Me!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Guest Post- BPA, It's Not For Me!

{Guest Post}


{BPA: It’s Not For Me!!!}


Have you seen the newest studies regarding BPA? What, you haven’t? I know you are probably asking yourself the question what is BPA? BPA stands for Bisphenol A. It is a chemical that has been used for more than 40 years in the manufacturing of many hard plastic food containers such as baby bottles, reusable cups, lining of metal food and beverage cans including canned liquid formula.

In recent studies, the use of BPA has had subtle effects in lab animals. It has not been proven to harm children or adults yet but these newer studies have the Department of Health and Human Services investing a significant amount of money on further studies. In the meantime the FDA is supporting current efforts by the industry to stop the manufacture of infant bottles and feeding cups made with BPA in the US market.
So why do you need to know this? To begin with I, myself, did not know anything about BPA until I joined the Healthy Child Newsletter. After seeing this I decided I wanted to research it more. Now remember, at this point I am willing to try anything with my 8 year old daughter, Gracie, who suffers from IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome). I have to admit that after reading the research the jury is still out on this subject for me. But that does not mean that I will continue to look at my Mt. Dew can the same again.

The reports I have read have convinced me to change some of the habits we have. I personally do not have to be concerned with the bottles and sippy cups. But I am going to make a concentrated effort to limit or even eliminate BPA in my household. Here are some ways that you can do the same. You can cut down your exposure by avoiding canned foods and using glass containers rather than plastic. If you do have to use canned food- rinsing them with water prior to heating and serving can lessen the BPA ingestion.

I would love to know your opinion of BPA, have you heard of it before now? What have you don’t and what will you do to limit the BPA in your household?

Melissa

Melissa is the author of the blog Adventures of Frugal Mom. Her blog contains stories, tips, social issues, freebies and contests. Stop by and visit at http://www.adventuresfrugalmom.blogspot.com



Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At April 15, 2011 at 4:59 AM , Anonymous EBENEZER ADOKWEI said...

Thanks Sarah for the advice..Keep up with the good works and Plz do pass by my blog on freeing your mind, follow and comment to improve my works too.Thanks.

 
At April 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Onlythemanager said...

I hate that we have to educate ourselves to protect our families from ordinary things in our environment. That's the way it is now. Thanks for the lesson.

 
At April 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

Thanks for the post. I'm going to subscribe to the Healthy Child Newsletter now. An article I just read said that one of the worst foods to buy canned are tomatoes (which is pretty much the only food I buy canned). The acid from the tomatoes makes the BPA leech into the food. I'm going to try to can my own tomatoes.

Thanks for visiting my blog from the Alexa blog hop. I'm following yours now. :)

 
At April 15, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger kewkew said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am now following you. This was a very informative post. Thanks

 
At April 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM , Anonymous Clairity said...

I only found out about this recently and have changed my kids' water bottles to non-BPA ones.

 
At April 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM , Blogger momnmia said...

I don't use anything with BPA, and it isn't necessarily because I agree with all the information, but more because I don't feel it is worth the risk. I don't usually mess with stuff I can't prove everything about.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home